The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Heartburn From a Big Mac

Okay, the mac-book now works with its new hard-drive and it's a way bigger hardrive too, making bigger--better. Who doesn't like that? And so I go to the desktop Mac, the Big Mac and prepare to burn my documents to install in the small mac, although I never thought thirteen inches was small, it is in this case.

Where I choked was on the word BURN. It is the new word for copy, I think, when you copy a file to a CD that was a diskette, that was a floppy and I have used actual floppies--both types.  But why burn? I freaked when it came to all my writing and what about Lollipop and what about Jawbone and the submission to Damnation Books and all the other shit I have in my writing projects. Burn? I can't burn. I have to save. I have to make several copies. I have to have it in print to stack in the garage and on CD's to stack by assorted years so that at anytime disaster happens, like something burning. I haven't lost anything.

When suddenly, I thought I was transferring(BURN) the info to the CD, the entire folder of documents disappeared.  Vanished. And I know it's there. There in the fucking Mac somewhere. It's there I tell myself, calm down.  But the word burn goes around again. I burned the documents and I can't find them.
There are now other files instead that won't open. I'm thinking they are the shells of their former selves before they were burned.

Jesus fucking Christ I burned the god-damn documents, what the fuck was I thinking of and I'm not drinking. No one could say, "The demented drunk did it again. Burnt the fucking documents."

I call Kevin, he'll know what to do, but he's not there, probably blocked my number, and who could blame him, a mad man on the other end crying about burning his documents, his computer doesn't work. What do you mean that's not a virus but a fly-speck on the screen? You can use a mild detergent on the glass to brighten the color? He is a world of computer knowledge and I have used him horribly.

With several calls within an hour he answered, cranky yes, but he answered.

"Oh god Kevin you have to come here and find where my documents are. I think I burned them."

He talked me through it, (I knew it was easy).  Now I'm not worried about the documents but what if Kevin died before I did? How the fuck do I save Kevin? I can't burn him.

No comments:

Post a Comment