The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Gift Horse

A friend, during a conversation back in the Fall said that if I wanted a Mac Book he would send it to me. A girlfriend gave it to him and he doesn't like Mac. Sure, I said because I'm really liking the Mac tower I have.

I wait and wait and finally, e-mailed asking when was he going to send the Mac? Sorry forgot, he said. So I wait some more and after a couple of weeks inquired again. Heard nothing.

Another month went by and I get a call from him, he sent it to the wrong address but his girlfriend is sending it to me, he was off to South Africa. Okay, great.

I wait and wait and finally, today, I get the Mac in the most beat up box left at my door early this morning. I take it in and fire it up. The hard drive doesn't show up, in fact it is so clean there is no operating system for the hard drive. I used the operating disk that came with it to re-install the system but guess what, there is something wrong. there is no destination for the disks to write to.

I get a friend who works on computers to come over, pay him a hundred bucks and we spend the whole frigging evening trying to install it, after taking the case off and checking to see if anything loose. Now it finds the hard drive but as the hours go by in the installation, and the last five minutes turns into an hour we give up. Kev took it home where he has another hard drive to put in it and see if it works. So a far the free horse has cost about hundred and sixty bucks, if it is the hard drive. If not  and it is just fucked I'm out a hundred to trash the thing.

Hence, never look a gift horse in the mouth or throw good money after bad. Just shoot the horse and figure the cost of the bullet was better than the cost to cure the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment