The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cha-Cha Mexican Monkey

One-two-three-four. Step. Step. One-two-three-four. Step. Step.

Oh how Mexican Monkey loves the cha-cha. Adonis was stood up one night when Mexican Monkey laid drunk somewhere and didn't make it to their date. Now he does the cha-cha.

He wants to swing in the trees and pull someone's leg. He wants to screech and holler but he has to stay sober until Adonis gets off his studio shoot. Until Adonis' adoring fans, ever present, leave to gaze at him another day.

"Por favor, Adonis, please give me another chance."

"Well, I get off at nine, If you're home, I'll swing by."

"Gracias, gracias, Adonis. Mi amigo." Oh, Mexican Monkey was so happy, all he had to do was to stay sober until nine that night and then he could drink with Adonis.

"What time is it?"

"Same time only ten minutes more and why the fuck won't you have a drink and stop asking me."

"I'll cut some bamboo."

"No, you won't. You'll leave it for me to pick up."

"I want to play cards."

David fortunately put his cigarette down and said he would play before putting it back in his mouth.

Mexican Monkey was losing. He couldn't count the cards. He couldn't concentrate. He didn't want to do the cha-cha but now it seemed inevitable. I fixed myself a nice cold martini and filled the beer orders for Mom and one of her new boyfriends. Mexican Monkey wasn't happy, while the rest of us drank and laughed. Mexican Monkey did the cha-cha.

"What time is it?"

"I don't know, why don't you take a look on your way to get a beer."

"I don't want to drink."

We all knew this was a bold face lie. He wanted to alright and did the cha-cha.

"Just have one fuckin' drink dude. Then leave it."

"No, Adonis and I are going out when he gets off work. What time is it?"

"Well I'll clue you in, you have about three fucking more hours to sweat it out."

And that's what he did. One-two-three-four. Step. Step. One-two-three-four. Step. Step.

The time neared, he knew if he left now he wouldn't be alone too long with Jose Cuervo and might pour himself a tad. He did the cha-cha out the door, with a smile on his face and the thought that he would be soon united with Adonis and a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment