The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Taxman Er, Taxlady

She says she's from Europe...somewhere over there, pointing without looking toward the east.  It is an European accent of some kind. I think Gypsy, the only thing missing is a gold earring and a chicken bone necklace.

If it wasn't for Wally, it is his tax lady he has used in the past, I would go anywhere else. I don't think she knows what she's doing myself. Last year, she needed the cashed checks for the property tax payments. This year we don't need them, instead we need the amount of the quarterly payments to the State and the Feds. 

"Don't you have them?" I asked.  "You sent the payment coupons with the amount to pay."

She looked at me as if my life line suddenly shortened on the palm of my hand. "Do you have the envelope they were sent in? Because you should have brought that in, it has the payment amounts on it." Then she went back to looking at her computer screen.

The computer screen, which we can't see and I'm glad of it because I'm afraid I would see a solitaire game being played. How can someone stop halfway through inputting numbers and start talking about other clients and what an ordeal they are. Then go back, look at the screen and then at the different forms we brought and try to figure out where she was?

 "It doesn't add up correctly." She would say and then begin to look at what she entered against the documents. "Oh, here it is, this looks like it would add up."

Looks like it would? Okay, and on and she goes for almost two hours before announcing that she'll send us what we owe, unless there is a refund, which she isn't sure of and she isn't sure if we need to split the income or is that the State?

Yes, sir, it's the Taxman...er Taxlady  and were fucked. No two ways about it. If she doesn't fuck us, the Feds will, rest assured unless your a millionaire, you are fucked when it comes to paying the taxman er lady.

2 comments:

  1. My tax "lady" wound up giving me four different amounts for my taxes, ranging from zero to four digits. I finally had her print out the form (she wouldn't do it till I paid her) and I'm taking it to a real CPA to look over. Never, never, NEVER go to H&R Block. They hire idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gets me is that for the ordinary person taxes, like the law, are written is such a way that only specialized people, lawyers, tax accountants, can decipher the legalese. The rich can hire the best and get away without paying shit. But us? Fuck no. You pay what you can afford and that's exactly what you get. I would love to shove a sharp stick up a Republican's ass right now. They gave us this system where the rich get richer and the rest of us are screwed.

    ReplyDelete