The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Defense of Marriage Act or DOMA

I have had two run-ins with this offensive law that literally has taken my rights as a citizen away. The first time was returning from a cruise. We had to go through customs and in large letters at the customs agent's booth is a sign that says if you are married you can both come to counter at the same time.

Wally's dementia had been diagnosed before we did the cruise but he was still able to enjoy things and that's why we thought of a cruise. Everyone on board was helpful to us, it was really enjoyable but when I went up to the custom agent, explaining we were married legally and that Wally has dementia and might have difficulty, he refused my request and demanded we each go separately,   DOMA at work.

I sent Wally first because I was afraid if I left him he wouldn't go to the counter on his own. I could see he was confused in answering questions, giving his passport and finally the idiot agent told him to go on, but I couldn't go up until Wally left the area. That took some time because Wally didn't want to leave the area without me. Finally I came up, got through the procedure with the Nazi agent and allowed to go.

I searched for Wally in the baggage area but couldn't find him. Some people whom we made friends with  onboard found me and said they have Wally in a safe place. They took me to him. He had tried to get back on board the ship and had been crying  because they wouldn't let him and he was afraid of being left. He thought I was still on board.

I'm not afraid of going to other countries, I'm afraid to try and return to my own. We don't cruise now because of that traumatic event.

Today I get in the mail from Social Security a form to fill out for Medicare. They wanted the spouse name and social security. I called and said I'm married legally but we have a same sex union. How do I fill out this form?

The woman didn't know and had to ask a supervisor, when she returned, I was told to fill the form with Wally's information in there as well, but that Social Security would not give us the benefits of a married couple because of DOMA. Yet I'm to fill it out anyway.

I won't be entitled for help with prescriptions because as a couple we have too much money in the bank in a joint account, yet if I was single, and had my separate savings I would be eligible. So we are not a couple when there is a benefit but we are when there is an exclusion.

Yes, it's  America folks. The land of the free and the brave. Where religion has all the rights to deny people equality  because they can and do force all of us to live by their religious edicts.

It's like being forced to believe in religion whether you believe there is a god or not. You have no choice in the matter.

I say, tax their churches and temples and call them out for what they are, crazies who want to force all of us to believe that there is a god when it is complete and utter nonsense. There is no proof, or even a plausible assumption that religious scripture was written by any god, or even dictated by one. If there is, that god would be deemed a paranoid schizophrenic. " I am Love, I am a jealous God, I'll smite you, and raise you up." Why do people believe that crap? Oh, and the Christians, eating the flesh of a god and drinking its blood. That sounds real normal...NOT.  Why do we allow them to treat us like this? We should be enraged they have tax free status and are allowed to subvert the Constitution. They need to be condemned for what they are-- lunatics and subversive traitors.

4 comments:

  1. Your post infuriates me on so many levels! For so long in Florida, gay couples haven't been able to adopt and that makes me crazy as well. We have a system crammed to the seams with needy children, but God forbid we should give them a good home... I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a friend who was raised in an orphanage in Chicago. Both him and his brother. The parents were alcoholics and had beat both the children and abused them to the point the courts took the brothers from them. Because they were no longer babies, young boys, yet blond and blue eyed,(the most desirable of children to be adopted) they never were adopted and spent their childhood in the orphanage.

    Our friend told us that he received a good education, he wasn't molested but that they both wanted more than anything to have someone in their life that would love them. A parent, they didn't care if it was a gay couple, a green couple, a black couple or a single parent. Because even though they were treated well, there was never enough time for them to bond to an adult with so many children needing attention too.

    Yet Christians will deny needy children access to loving parents on religious principle alone, not that there is a shred of evidence that gay people make bad parents but rather the opposite, they make very good parents.

    And that's god at work? Sounds more like controlling and conniving human beings that are mean spirited and too full of themselves, not the work of any god. Which I find the case in all religions no matter which one it is. The work of men to control others by way of fear that some deity is in charge. What nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christians are not Christian. That's something that needs to be noted up front. I don't care what they say they are, 99 times out of 100 they don't really follow the teachings of Christ, so they can't be Christians. They're really Paulists or Papists or Pissants, but they ain't Christians, that's for damn sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first Christians were die-hard communists. So much so that a couple were killed because they were suspect to not give everything they had to the early church. It's in Acts. Yet, you could hardly say that Christians today are any where near a communistic society. Christians today are die-hard capitalists, to the point that they want more births, for more cheap labor to make more money for a very few people. Quite the opposite of the original early church where food, possessions and money were shared by all in the church.

    ReplyDelete