The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

My friend

When I first saw Millie on a web site for pound animals she was a tiny skinny little thing. For some reason my heart went to her and the next day I drove over to the city shelter and looked for the cat in the picture.

She wasn't in the section of cats up for adoption and I asked about where I could find the one I saw on their web site. She was in quarantine, some kind of lung infection had kept her un-adopted while the rest of her litter mates found homes. They put her on the web site hoping someone like me would take her in. She needed medication and love and they just didn't have the time for her. Skin and bones, I talked with the vet on duty, she had no contagious cough, just weak and vulnerable, if she lived long enough, her immune system would kick in but she would need medicine to do that for her until it did.

All this time of waiting for the doctor and holding her she had fell asleep in the palm of my hands and I asked why there was blood on her nose. It was from sneezing so much. Once the cough was over she wouldn't sneeze. Her cage was stacked on other cages and as I looked at all the other cats in need of care I could see where this little one wouldn't get much attention.

I had to sign papers that I would take care of the cat. Give her the medicine and get her fixed once she was old enough. I did and took her straight to my veterinary not far away. He prescribed the same drops and said to bring her back in a month.

From that day forward, Millie got better. Every day the little girl turned from a sickly, lackluster kitten into a loving, purring feline. Me and Millie are pretty damn close. She sits with me, sleeps with me, we watch the chickens in their pen, she plays with Buster the chihuahua and naps. When people come over she greets them, lets them pat her head and then goes on to the next person. She's there when I come back from someplace and nearby where ever I am. It's me and Mill against the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment