The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dinner Out

Wally and myself walked to an India restaurant tonight for dinner. The walk was a bit more than a mile there. We have talked about it before. I could drink beer and not worry about driving and we both needed the extra exercise. It worked out fine to some extent except when we had to break into a trot on the way back. Wally needed to piss or shit, I'm not sure what it was with the pace picking up steadily, he yelled something about bathroom-bathroom.

It's called the Taj Mahal. There must be three million Taj Mahals in Los Angeles alone. Taj Mahal, Star of India, they don't drift too far away from those two names. Anyway, while at dinner, a group began to gather at a table near us. Encino is a very strange place. The Jews of Encino call Beverly Hills, "The old country." It is filled with Hollywood types, Michael Jackson's family for one and it is famous for a number of older stars that lived there as well. Now there is this hodgepodge of the middle east and a good smattering of Hollywood hype type. This English bloke was trying to schmooze with a couple who were evidently in the "biz". Something about a film, a documentary and in his conversation I picked up a smattering of cockney. He had, at first, that fine upper crust, sharpness in his words but some of the words later on came out a bit gamy when he had relaxed a bit. I wondered if he was convincing them. I think not, he didn't convince me either.

Giggling girls floated by reeking in perfume. I could still smell it well after they went by. They were joined later by older women, with more sedate smells. I hear them begin to order. None of them like spicy food, they don't like this, they don't like that, they want what is not on the menu and while the waitress waited, argued among themselves what would work for them all.
NOTHING on the menu would work for them, why the fuck did they decide on India food? I suppose to go over their eating disorders of what they can and cannot eat.

In India, they will pretty much eat anything they can. There is no argument about food when you're starving. Locust? Bring them on, I'm famished.

Wally and I have all the vegetarian dishes. The people of India know how to make okra taste good. It is a delight to taste the cauliflower, and peas. Potatoes and lentils. The vegetable stews and the sauces and condiments. And even better with a couple of bottles of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment