The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Friday, August 27, 2010

You In The Cheap Seats Stop Clapping

There is something to be said for paying for a better seat at the Hollywood Bowl. Not for listening to the music, it's so that you can listen to the music.

For the last two Thursdays, a woman shows up with a male partner and they sit near us. They have a little folding table and an electric candle to place on the table. That's okay, weird but okay. She has some kind of lung condition, in that there are few moments she isn't hacking her lungs up. At one point, during a particular rough batch of hacking, she farted. Yep, a real ripper. But that's not all, she unwraps things, constantly unwrapping one cellophane product after another and hacking with an occasional fart thrown in.

It was a night of flouting flute music with Sir James Galway and his wife playing and near the end of the performance he played, Danny Boy which Mr. Galway introduced with a joke. "If you want, you can say a little prayer while listening. And you know what that will get you. Nothing"

I loved the joke and really liked hearing him play Danny Boy, it's just that I wanted to set the coughing farter on fire while listening to one of the sweetest pieces of music there is.

Sir James Galway, when he announced what he was going to play got a roaring ovation from the cheap seats and that brought out another of his zingers, "You in the cheap seats, stop clapping."

I know what he meant. The unwashed, the rowdy, fart-sneezing-package-unwrappers-bottle-tippers can't stop making noise. Even the people who shush the noise makers make noise. And if it isn't a fucking cough-and-fart woman, it's a damn plane or helicopter droning over head.

Ah, yes, the cheap seats, all the farting coughing you can get for a buck-fifty.

2 comments:

  1. God, have I been there and had that happen to me. With a whole family who brought a picnic made up of nothing but bags of chips and cans of dips that they opened every chance they could to make certain no one was allowed to listen to the music. I think it's a conspiracy of developers out to drive away the crowds who love the Hollywood Bowl so they can take over this prime real estate and make a fortune once the market finally turns around -- if ever.

    So when're you turning the mean queen and her brood into a book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I submitted Jawbone to a publisher earlier in the month. Response time is four to six weeks. I've found no early news, is good news, it is coming up on four weeks.

    I have a mystery involving both straight and gay characters, Lollipop, including cops that I'm thinking of dusting off and submitting somewhere, I think it good.

    Then there is Jack Longdong, Private Dick. But until I can see there was any money made on Sarge and the Sailor Boy, I haven't worked on it much.

    Mean Queen, Daddy, Village Idiot, Jihad Party Boys, Drag Queen and the Lady of the Forest is an on going tale of the hood. Someone who reads the blog was over and after inspecting the alley, said, "Oh my god. You really wrote about your neighbors." As I write, Hag, has been hold-up between the Western Bunker of the Jihad Party Boys and Village Idiot. Is she alive?

    I wonder?

    ReplyDelete