The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Adventures of Campy Girlymann Continue

Campy looked around, a bit dazed from waking to find his bike gone. He stretched before he walked back inside the cafe. Pierre had just served dinner to a couple in a booth. When he finished with his customers, Pierre walked back towward the kitchen.  Campy stopped him.

"Pierre? Where did you put my bike?"

"Campy, I never moved your bike,"  he said a bit startled. "Since you've been here, the cafe has been busy. I saw your bike next to you when I cleaned the last table outside."

"When was that?"

Pierre thought for a moment, "It was maybe a half hour ago. Maybe less. Campy, do you want me to call the gendarme?"

Campy looked out the window, as if he wanted to make sure his bike still wasn't there, "No, not yet. Maybe someone is playing a prank or went for a ride." Many times, Girlymann was asked by a fan if they could ride his bike, just so they could boast, 'I rode Campy Girlymann's, De La Rosa.' Some wanted to touch it,  or offered money to buy the bike. That's what  now worried Campy, for a very generous amount.

"Pierre, if someone returns my bike, would you put it in back. I"m going to look around."

"Of course Campy, and I will ask around too. Some people here today were friends and people I have known for a long time. I'll see what they have to say."

Campy walked to the front door, took a look at the crowd, things looked normal enough, no shifty eyes, or smirks to give a practical joke away. And then he walked out to the street and did the same, looked to see if anybody looked suspicious for some reason. It was late afternoon, not much light left for a rider, unless they knew there was a bike torch in the kit tied to his saddle. Campy was always prepared.

Girlymann took the street that would lead to the main square, where the Tour de France stage race finished. He didn't know where else to start the search and that seemed as good as any. It seemed strange to him to be on foot. The Lycra hugged tight and brought a few stares. Not having his bike was new for Campy. And to walk somewhere, how novel.

To be continued....

1 comment: