The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sunny Side Up

It looked a good day this morning when I woke and saw that the sun, for the first time in over a week, had come out to shine. The lawn had mist rising and it sparkled with dew being bathed in sunlight. Birds were singing, dogs were on walks and though for myself, with a cold beginning to settle in, was feeling good about the day. The girls had laid enough eggs to have a breakfast of melon with eggs Benedict.

I've perfected making Hollandaise sauce. I swear it can only be done well with fresh yolks for the sauce thickens in no time ever since I've used yolks from the girls in the hen house. The sauce wasn't on English muffins and it wasn't with Canadian bacon, but the whole grain toast and leftover ham worked very well indeed with the fresh poached eggs and a wonderful Hollandaise.
And what a pretty plate it was that I served to Wally and me.

After two bites, Wally began to choke. I mean serious choking and it was quite apparent that his air passage was blocked. He had a frantic look in his face to match my ashen one.

"Wally. Wally!"  panic set in quickly, he stared up at me with eyes that pleaded for rescue.

I did what I could of the the Heimlich maneuver, then slapped his back a number of times hard. He would get the food up in his mouth but because of the dementia, would try and swallow it again.   He was in a panic and so was I with my fingers I tried to pry his mouth open but he clamped down making it all the worse.

More of the Heimlich and more beating on his back until the food came up again and he chewed it, even though I pleaded for him to spit it out.

He's okay now. I'm not. I'm a nervous wreck. My cold feels worse, I'm afraid to leave him alone for a second and I desperately need to take a nap.

So much for a sun shiny day.

2 comments:

  1. Scary. Positive thoughts sent your way. I know you need all you can get.

    And who knew Eggs Benedict could be so dangerous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a scare, now Wally and I are bundled with the same cold. A bit of coal in our stocking.

    ReplyDelete