The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Friday, December 3, 2010

It Never Ends

I spent my day buying and returning software. After trying out the free program by Oracle it was obvious that it wasn't going to work for me. It will be okay to use I guess until I get an Office 08 program for Mac but it won't make it in the long run. Some of the functions I use were difficult to find and once I did, didn't work well, like bookmarks. To go back in the story where I left off quickly just doesn't run smooth on the Oracle program. That and trying to read how the program works in its help section, I had to get my face abut six inches from the screen to read it. Even my own work in twelve point, I have to magnify it much larger to read it on my twenty inch screen and the program puts boxes in front of the paragraph, I have no idea what they are and I don't want to go blind trying to find out.

So I went to Fry's. I hate Fry's but I have to admit, this time there was someone there to talk to that did give me good advice. I had called earlier and whoever helped me then gave me wrong info, they didn't have the version I wanted but they did have the 2011 version and fortunately the guy at the store told me that unless I had an intel processor the Office program wouldn't work on it. Sure enough mine didn't, so I need Office 08. I returned the program and did get my money back. I had to order it on Amazon and now wait about ten days to get it.

Here's a good one. The guy at Fry's was friendly and went out of his way to help me, he also gave me a number for Microsoft where I did get to talk to a tech guy easier than if I called my bank. The Microsoft guy said that he would help me install the Office 11 program, I asked about the processor and he said,  "Well, if it doesn't work, we'll return your money."

That means I would have to mail it in and now deal with Microsoft. No thanks, I'm in living hell now I don't really want to turn the heat up.  I left it un-opened and went back to Fry's and got the money back on my card.

It sucks, it really does, I feel like I'm half a person at the moment because I can't write and feel assured that what I do write will be there when I get the Office 08 program. It may be paranoia but at this point, I'm real nervous about taking anymore chances.

One of the reviews I read about Office 11 for Mac is that for someone, it turned half his work, a long piece into asterisks that he couldn't correct. Terrifying isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment