The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Monday, July 12, 2010

An Old Friend

The other day the phone rang, it was someone asking me if I was Mike Gleich. They pronounced my last name right, so they weren't from India. It turned out to be a school mate of mine, Bob Overkamp. We talked, caught up with each others lives and had a few laughs.

It was a kind of whirlwind conversation, covering everything and through it all, Bob's voice was something I couldn't register. I don't know why, except that he never cursed, something Bob never did when we were buddies back in high school.

Why Bob and me were friends I have no idea and how we became friends I have no idea. We lost contact with each other when he moved to the Midwest and married. Had twin boys was the last I heard.

One of my memories, one that flows over me and calms me in turbulent times is of our summer days at the beach. Bob's family would pick me up and we would all go to the beach and spend the day. Lazy days of sun, waves and hanging out. We would slap on tanning lotions and talk about, I don't know what, just talk like friends do. Bob was good looker, tall, blue eyes and a great build being on the gymnastic team.

When I told him I was gay, it wasn't defensive, just that I am gay and had a lover that I married back when it was still legal. He was okay with it, unlike another friend from high school and I guess it was because of that experience that I was worried about what his reaction would be.

Near the end of the conversation, Bob said if I was ever up his way, to come by he had a three bedroom house in Rough and Ready. That's the town's name. For the first time in being contacted from someone of my past I didn't go into a deep depression, rather I was exhilarated. I plan on staying in contact with Bob and hope to visit him in Rough and Ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment