The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ghosts In The Garden

Funny thing about the vegetable garden, it is a host to my ghosts. I see them, relatives, friends, even pets roaming among the lettuce and cucumbers. In the morning, early morning while the earth is cold and wet before the birds sing, my grandmother, with her great rear jutting up among the blades of garlic is there poking around in the soil.

When broad daylight hits, before the heat of the day comes, is Ajax the wonder dog. My dear old friend, Ajax who saved kittens, watched over old people and befriended everyone he met runs by on the path between the lemon and the kumquat trees.

Then there are the friends that pass by as if they walked through a door and into another room and I can see them for just a moment when the door opens and closes.

All of them seem happy, seem to be relaxed and content. Kind of like cats after their afternoon nap when they wake up and walk about. Of course seeing dead people is suppose to be a bit weird. Perhaps, but nonetheless, I'm use to it now. It's a comfort really, especially Ajax and grandma. Strange too, because granny pickled and canned everything. Watermelon rinds, eggs, peaches, you name it, she had it stored in a Bell jar on a pantry shelf. And it was good too, at Thanksgiving there would be pickled peaches, with cloves stuck in them, in a liquor heavy with spice and a bit of brandy.

I've been pickling myself and making jam. It's fun really, I'm getting so many pickling cucumbers and with them, have made dill and bread and butter pickles by the jars. Blueberry jam and strawberry with a vanilla bean added to the boiling fruit and sugar, a little lemon rind and juice helps put a nice finish to the jam. Trouble is, I can't buy store-bought any more. No taste to it.

Maybe I see ghosts because Wally and I spend so much time at home. We have our garden, and everyone seems to enjoy it. It's our world made the best we can make it. It could be ghosts like it too. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment