The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Near Death Experience At Kaiser Permante Woodland Hills

Wally had three teeth that needed extracted. First of all, it was two but the oral surgeon found the one next to those two had to be removed as well.

He goes in for teeth cleanings every four months and with Xrays, so what's with the need for extractions to begin with? A question I'm posing for the next dental visit.

Because he is on blood thinners for a protein C deficiency, the blood wants to clot, a genetic disorder, he had to be taken off the thinners. One doctor, a retired doctor at Kaiser told me the risk wasn't much of him forming a blood clot being momentarily off the thinners. But the Kaiser Coumadine clinic at Kaiser Woodland Hills, ran by pharmacist, had him switch to a different blood thinner. An in the belly shot of lovenox, every twelve hours instead. Then, after surgery, both with a large dose coumadinan and the shot that night.

Wally bled throughout the night. I was stuffing his mouth with every piece of gauze I had and I had a lot on hand. The next day, I didn't give him the shot and he stopped bleeding so the following day I tried to reach a doctor or the Coumadin clinic. I was told to keep to the schedule and to expect some bleeding. Okay, but he's really bleeding and for hours.

Thursday, after his shot, at about two in the morning, I wake up to Wally gurgling in his blood. Out of both sides of his mouth blood is pouring, the whole pillow is bloody, not just the case but the actual pillow. He is gasping for breath. I get him up, clean out his mouth, stuff his mouth with gauze and call Kaiser. After twenty minutes, of talking to one nurse who would than have me talk to another nurse, and who I had to repeat for the third time his medical number, date of birth and who I am, tells me to call 911.

I call, they come out, Wally is okay, his vitals are okay but blood pressure very low and they take him to Kaiser emergency. The Doctor, Dr. Chin, when I gave her the the list of medicines and the times and amounts, said, "Why is he on two blood thinners?"

"That's what they told me to give him! I read it back twice to make sure it was correct."

Dr. Chin said, he's had three teeth pulled, this is too much blood thinner for him."

"NO SHIT"

"That's what I thought, but to get someone to understand that, well good fucking luck at the Woodland Hills Kaiser."

Me and a friend get Wally home after a half a day in the emergency and my pockets stuff with more gauze the doc gave me. As soon as I get in our house the phone rings and it's the Coumadin Bitch. She tells me his reading is 1.9 and it needs to be between 2.0 and 3.0 so double his dose for that day.

"Don't you think he needs to stop bleeding first?"

"We want to see his level between 2.0 and 3.0 or he could have a blood clot."

"What's worse, bleeding to death or a clot?"

"His reading should be 2.0 and 3.0"

Got it you fucking bitch, you don't know your pharmacist ass from a hole in the ground just as long as the patient goes by your 'By The Book' reading. "Okay, thanks."

I gave him half the dose, there is no fucking blood clot and he isn't bleeding either and is now able to walk and talk.

Thanks Kaiser, Live long and soulless.   You fucking robot cunt.


1 comment:

  1. I don't think people are capable of thinking, anymore. It's like the whole wide world's becoming dumber and dumber as we become more and more technologically advanced.

    I'm glad Wally's better...but it sure is rough on you.

    ReplyDelete