The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Grocery Shopping for Memories



Back in my hippie days we lived in an area that went off the grid during storms leaving residents without access to food, water, or power. It taught self reliance real quick and now that I live where that isn't a problem during storms, I still shop and store as if it might happen at any time. There is a supply in the garage of just about everything to get by for a week or more if necessary.  It helped in the 94 Northridge quake, we didn't lose power or water but friends did. We didn't need to run out to the store right away and if we had lost power or water it wouldn't be the end of the world. Inconvenient, yes but with the survival skills I learned, we would get by.

 Still, when storm weather comes (and what a delight here in La La Land for stormy weather) I relish supplying the larder. You need food that cooks in one pot, hopefully for a long time to help warm the house and make it a comfortable place to hunker down. The aroma of slow cooked meals simmered on a wood stove while you sit in front of its cast iron belly to read, craft or chat with family and friends is something usually savored at campsites. Time to open a bottle and contemplate whatever it is that needs contemplation. Time to slow down and enjoy the simple things life has to offer like a warm meal shared with others.

Everyone has their own way of navigating the isles of grocery stores. I start at the entrance and wind my way down each isle until I reach the other end where the produce is stored. But that depends on the reliance of the store keeper. There might not be what I'm looking for in the one department and that might mean changing course, going back to a previous aisle for what I could use instead. At the end of shopping, my last item is at least one block of ice. I like my beer cold.

Back at home, with a look at the weather report while stocking the pantry, I think back to those hippie days and the people I met. There is, unfortunately, no one left alive that I know, except for a friend's son who called two years ago to say his mother was dying.  Apparently she did for I never heard from her that Christmas. That leaves me and my memories.

So here I am with a glass of Merlot as Joni Mitchell and Neil Young play softly to the storm that will bring rain and wind to shade my memories of the  laughter and songs we once had a long time ago. To Johnny Reno, Lee and Roxanne, to Richard, Henry and Jeff, to all those that came in and out of our door during bad times and good that storms bring. May you go in peace just as you lived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment