The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Curse Of A Witch

Long ago and far away lived a cobbler in a village. He made shoes for the town's folk, and repaired those of weary travelers on their way to see a great king. The king lived in a city a day's journey from the village. The cobbler lived just out of town on the same road to the city of the king. For their audience with the king, they all wanted to look their very best, and would stop at his shop for their shoes.

The cobbler lived alone in his comfortable house by a brook that ran fresh water to the fields of the villagers. He was happy with his home near the road. The cobbler's shop faced the road with his residence in back. It made for a comfortable life at the forest's edge . The back had windows facing the stream where lay the most beautiful garden of vegetables and flowers to cheer his home. But what he wanted most was someone to love him.

 All the maidens, young, mature, rich, or poor in town spurned his requests for marriage. They all thought a cobbler to low to marry. The cobbler, although nice and well thought of, was not very bright or handsome, and cobblers do have little money. But the cobbler, though lacking in what others thought important, had a kind and loving heart. He didn't resent what they said of him.  "They don't know who I really am." That's what he told himself, and decided to wait for someone to see him for his real self. For he knew someday it would happen.

One day a hag came to the village with clothes made of patched rags, for that was what her clothes had become. Thinned boned, with a walking stick to help her crooked back, she was on her way to see the king. For she had a complaint of a witch's curse.

When she rested, for she had no home, people threw money at her to move her on her way. That income was her only money for she was forced to live by the kindness of strangers. When the hag came to the cobbler's shop, she saw a bench at the front window. Beneath the  window was a flower box that cascaded over the side with color, making the bench more inviting. At the end of the bench stood a lovely earthen water jar with a leather laced ladle around the neck of the container. A sign near the jar read, 'Sit and rest'. She sat down on the bench to rest and thought of a cup of water if no one minded. She lifted the ladle and filled it with fresh water before bringing it to her dry, weathered lips.

It brought a smile to her, the first she's had in a long while, to sit in the shade with flowers about and fresh clean water to drink. She thought of having another drink but didn't want to impose herself, having no money to give in return. The hag stood up, opened the door to the cobbler's store and walked in. There, she looked about, everything in neat cubby boxes, filled with shoes and sandals, and a beautiful yellow canary singing. She also smelled a wonderful soup coming from somewhere. 

What a lovely shop, she thought and walked to the cobbler who was busy stitching a new sole on a pair of boots. "May I another cup of water?"

The cobbler turned and saw a very tired old looking woman.

"Why of course you may. I was about to stop and have a cup of tea. Would you join me?"

The hag wasn't sure what to say, nobody ever asked her to come inside their homes let alone have tea. "Well, if you don't mind. It's been so long since anyone asked if I would like  a cup of tea." She held on to the side of her tattered clothing, ashamed of how she looked.

"Oh my dear, you're fine enough to me. Here, let me help you, I have a nice cushioned chair near the window next to the hearth. I like to read there. Let me take you to it."

"Oh, no. I couldn't, my clothes, I might ruin your beautiful chair."

"I'm not worried about the chair, and I would love the company, being with shoes all day. They have tongues you know but I never heard one speak."

She laughed at his joke and he thought her younger than when he first saw her. "I'll tell you what. Let's dress up. I have a dressing gown in the back for you, and if you'd like, take a bath, for the water is warm.  I'll make tea for our soup and sandwich. You wear the gown and I'll put on my best coat and hat. Will have a tea party fit for royalty."

He then held out his hand, "My name is Tot, and you?"

She took his hand, smiled and said, "Mine is May."

"You mean the lovely, May?"

"No one has called me lovely in a long time."

"How sad, because you are very lovely, just like the month of May. Now here, go through that door there, down the hall and turn to the left. You'll find the bath."

May thought it strange that Tot would find her attractive. When she got to the bath, there was a beautiful dressing gown hanging near the towels and she smiled again.

Once May bathed, washing all the dirt and tired off her, she took the robe and wrapped it around, feeling how soft the fabric felt on her skin, not like the rags she wore everyday, and her body wasn't as tired as before. May then walked toward the shop side of Tot's house but was stopped by his voice calling out.

"I'm out here in the garden, come join me," Tot said pointing to a French door for her to use.

May opened the door and stepped out to a beautiful garden with the canary now singing in his cage hooked near the door. Tot had sat a wonderful table of sandwiches, tea and the soup she had smelled earlier. There were flowers from the garden in a bright vase in the middle of the table and Tot held out a cushioned chair for her.

After the two sat and Tot poured the tea they talked over lunch. Tot asked, "Are you on your way to see the king? So many are that take this road,"

"Yes, if he will see me in my tattered garments. I hear he is a very wise king and I need his help."

"What is it? If I may ask."

"I'm cursed by a witch and maybe he can help me. They say he is very good and solved many problems."

"Oh dear, I'm sure our king can help you. Let me get you some shoes and clothes so you look your best."

"That would be wonderful. I could make my own clothes if you have cloth and allow me use your scissors, needles and thread."

"I have some cloth but not the kind to see a king in. I'll go into town after lunch and get some very fine cloth for you."

"You're so kind to me. I'm very grateful. Can I watch yours shop while you go to town?"

"That would be perfect."

And so, the two had their lunch while they listened to the canary sing  and the brook's gurgle on worn stones. When they finished Tot went into town while May sat about tidying up and helping the occasional customer who dropped off shoes for repair or waited until Tot returned.

In no time at all, Tot came back with the most beautiful bolts of satin in different colors, and delicate white lace for trim.  He also brought everything a lady would need for making clothes. He handed them to May, which she thanked him for most graciously.

"Two gentlemen are waiting and there are shoes left for repair that I put on your workbench," May said.

"Thanks very  much. What a wonderful day, isn't it May?"

May thought for a moment, so much had happened in such a short time, "It is a wonderful day. I feel so different somehow."

"You make it a wonderful day, May."

For a moment the two looked deeply into each others eyes before they broke their gaze to set about the tasks at hand.  It took up the rest of their day but in the end, May had cut the cloth to make a very nice dress and pinned it together for sewing. She had a rabbit stew simmering on the stove with a fresh pot of tea when Tot came to the living quarters.

 "Oh May, I could smell the rabbit stew in the shop, what a delight and the customers wanted to know what was for dinner, as if hinting to be invited. Can I help you with anything?"

"Could you set the table? It's funny, but you put things where I would put them. I could find everything. It was as if I had lived here."

Tot stood still a moment, his heart beating so hard he thought May might hear. "Well, eh. I have a spare room with a nice bed. May?"

"Yes Tot."

"You could stay as long as you like. I really mean it, as long as you want." Tot held his breath while he waited of her answer.

"Thank you. I will need a few days before I see the king. You are the kindest most generous person I have ever met." May walked to Tot holding out her arms to embrace him.

They held each other for a while when May gave Tot a kiss on the cheek. At that moment, a tingling took place that rippled through them both.

When they let go of each other, Tot said, "I haven't seen you use your cane.

May looked around the room, wondering where she put it because her bones no longer ached. "I don't feel like I need it for some reason."

"You look so beautiful May, I'm a lucky man to have you as a friend."

May smiled, and  on her way to sit for dinner she passed a mirror and noticed the crook of her back was gone and her hair no longer grey. Her faced too, the lines and wrinkles had faded.

It was a dinner by candlelight and when finished and the dishes washed, they sat by the fire, May sewing her dress, and Tot working on a beautiful pair of shoes.

The next day, they sat about their tasks, and each day after. May made herself a closet of clothes and talked to Tot on adding clothe's repair to the business. Tot agreed and the two were soon very busy with all the new customers.

Years passed, yet May never went to the king. In town, people commented on what a lovely and handsome couple they made, and how gracious the both were to strangers, for no one had a bad word to say of them. 

One day, after years had passed and children raised, Tot asked of May, "Why have you never gone to the king with your request?

May held her husband's hand, "I found out the witch didn't curse me."

"How's that?"

"I had asked for a spell from a witch I was told to be very good and wise. In the land I came from I was the most beautiful maiden, that's what people said of me, and I suppose it was true, because I was sought after by many suitors. But none of them wanted to know who I was as a person. They looked at me as something beautiful to treasure. I asked the witch to cast a spell that only those who loved me for who I was, rather than my beauty, would find me."

May reached over and kissed her husband sitting on the couch with her, "She took my beauty from me and because of that, I found my one true love."

No comments:

Post a Comment