The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ratty, Mole And The Cunning Fox

Once upon a time, where a gentle river flowed, many animals lived along its banks. They built a village, raised their young, and all lived in peace and harmony because the river gave a good life for everyone.

Ratty, a river rat, lived near a bend in the river where a willow tree grew. His home, built in the bank of the river, had paned windows to look out and watch the river traffic go by. Below his home, at river's edge, there was a small dock that sheltered his rowboat for excursions on the river, and to visit friends.

 Ratty was very happy in his home. Comfortable with his collection of books, he enjoyed sitting in a willow chair on his dock on warm days to read and wave at friends passing by. Everyone in his neighborhood knew him, often being invited for watercress sandwiches and tea on his cozy dock. Ratty liked nothing better than to chat with a passerby.

In the winter, Ratty would cook stews and soups by the fireplace as he watched the river rise to rush by his windows leaving mud on the sills that smelled like plum pudding. But in the winter time, everyone depended on their larder, only venturing out when it was safe to do. Ratty, even with his large collection of books, became lonely at winter's time.

His neighbors knew Ratty to be a good and jolly fellow. He would watch their children now and then, and always dependable to borrow a bit of butter or grain for the table. Often, his neighbors would say, "Ratty, have you found a love yet, another river rat to have a family?"

"No." Would be his answer, "All the single river rats I've met weren't interested in me or taken." Ratty would look to the horizon then before he said, "I suppose my destiny is a lonely life." That was his answer when asked the question, which came much too often.

Ratty, in truth, wasn't interested in the other river rats he met. He never felt the spark everyone talked about when you meet and fall in love. But Ratty knew, deep inside, it would happen one day.

One spring, when the river's creatures were busy restocking from the long winter, Ratty went to the Menders shop. He needed a pair of britches he tore repaired. And "odds and ends," as he called it, for Ratty loved to shop and meet people.

After the Menders, Ratty strolled about the village in search of anything of interest, always ending at the book seller before he left for home. In the Mercantile while searching for jute twine, he spotted a very handsome creature. An animal, who had just pushed his spectacles up to read some fine print on a blue bottle stood not far away. Ratty knew what it was the animal picked up and felt compelled to intrude.

"Excuse me sir, but I can recommend that oil of lavender you have in your hand. Very good brand." Ratty said.

"Oh good. It's hard for me to read this tiny print. Thank you. My name is Mole. Howard Jay Arthur Mole to be exact." Mole extended his hand toward Ratty which he took with a smile.

"Ratty is mine. That's what everyone calls me, and you? Is it Mole you go by?"

"Yes, I think only my mother called me my full name."

"Mine too, it's settled then Mole. What a cheery day it is. Would you like to have watercress sandwiches with a pot of tea with me?

Mole had to think a bit, he never encountered such a creature as Ratty, most didn't bother with him at all. "Yes. Yes, I think I would. I left home for errands, and so seldom see the light of day in my hole, it's been very enjoyable.

"Well then, Mole it's settled, I have my boat tied in the harbor. Do you mind if we stop by the book merchant?"

"No, not at all. He carries some large print books for me. I'm very grateful to him."

"Funny we didn't run into each other before. Don't you think?"

Mole adjusted his glasses, "Yes I think so but I'm so nearsighted you know."

Ratty placed his hand on Mole's shoulder, "Let's go shall we?" And off they went.

Ratty lead Mole through the streets with his hand on his shoulder or arm to guide him to the right or left for which Mole was very grateful. Poor Mole, on his own he had to apologize now and then for the creatures he bumped into whenever he went to town. And for being a shy creature it became wearisome, so he mostly stayed home in a hole in the ground where little light came.

The two chatted all the way and at the book merchant, Mole picked up a novel the merchant had ordered for him. Ratty grabbed the latest mystery that he couldn't wait to read and off they went to Rat's boat.

"Oh what a wonderful boat," Mole said as Ratty helped him in. "I've never been in a boat much less on the river. And I love to sit by the river to read and smell the outdoors."

"Well then," said Ratty, "I think you might like my little house on the river. We'll sit on the dock to have our lunch and a good read."

"Splendid. Absolutely splendid." Mole clapped his hands when Ratty launched the boat and floated to midstream. All the way back Ratty told Mole about life on the river, and how exciting it all was, and who lived where, and what fun they would have for Ratty felt the spark.

To be continued...



    

No comments:

Post a Comment