The city from my view.

A pulse on a vibrant Megalopolis.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Adventures Of Campy Girlymann

Campy pressed Gaston for a chance to ride with the famous Jean Claude who won the yellow jersey. But Gaston, at last, told Campy that he detested the cyclist, for obvious reasons though left unmentioned, it was a black spot on The Tour de France that Gaston had no interest in pursuing.  The distaste of Jean Claude was shared among the riders and Campy realized that getting to the Estate of Jean Claude wouldn't happen with this group of dedicated cyclists.

On the way back from their ride through the mountains, Campy wondered what avenue he could pursue to free the Belgian and regain his beloved De Rosa. He fell to the back of the pack and another rider pulled up next to him. He looked fit, yet Campy could see he was struggling to keep up though the pack had slowed on the level ground going back to the town.

Campy had remembered seeing someone, always at the back and never quite up with the group, though he was respected among the cyclists and sat next to Gaston on the Sunday ride at the cafe, he didn't seem able to endure the stress of the ride. 

"I know who you are." The rider said.

"And who are you?"Campy asked.

"A friend, and I will help you with your quest."

"What quest is that?" Campy asked, not sure where this was going.

"I was once one of the best until Jean Claude saw me as a threat, he couldn't buy me to throw the race, so...he had an accident planned just for me. My leg." The rider pointed down.

Campy looked down and saw that the calf of the cyclist and thigh had horrible scars and missing tissue, leaving what looked like a shark that tore the flesh out.

"I was pushed into a car going the opposite way, and my leg was almost torn off. The driver of the car worked for Jean Claude and it was Jean Claude's men that cornered me and forced me into the lane. Of course they all said it was an accident, even the magistrate. All so very convenient."

Campy now realized how hated the De Claudes were, and why this man's friend, Gaston, didn't wish to talk about the winner of the Yellow Jersey.

"So you think you can get me in?"

"Yes, and it will be easy for you."

Campy wondered how this man could get him easily. "How?"

"You will come with me as my assistant when I do maintenance on Jean Claude's bicycles He was kind enough to give me the job of mechanic for all his little toys." The man spat out the words as if each were a bitter pill.

Campy reached over and shook the man's hand while they rode and then the two slowed further back and talked in the late afternoon night while they rode back to town.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment